A position is currently open for ICFO Director.
- Please consult: Full details of the position, application process and calendar.
- Post-doctoral position in materials designer
- Post-doctoral position in CO2 electrolysis
- Post-doctoral position in the theory of quantum cryptography
- Post-doctoral position in microfluidic cell sorting and process automation
- Post-doctoral position in development of low-cost CMOS compatible intersubband optoelectronics (photodetectors and light emitters) in the MWIR and LWIR leveraging colloidal quantum dot technology
- Post-doctoral position in RoHS compliant colloidal quantum dot photodetectors and image sensors
- Post-doctoral position in artificial intelligence bioimage data scientist
- Post-doctoral position on short-wave infrared light emitters based on downconverting thin films
- Postdoctoral position in population detected 2 dimensional electronic spectroscopy of energy materials
- Post-doctoral position in QED using 2D correlated electrons
- Post-doctoral positions in quantum light emitters based on colloidal quantum dots
- Post-doctoral and Research Engineer positions in quantum technologies
- Post-doctoral position on thermal sensors and microbolometers
- Post-doctoral position in neuromonitoring of premature born infants within the Horizon Europe project Prometeus
- Post-doctoral position in personalized cancer therapy in preclinical models guided by diffuse optics
- Post-doctoral position in dark matter search with ultracold atoms
- Post-doctoral position in design and testing of thz detectors
- Post-doctoral position in organic and perovskite photovoltaic cell development
- Post-doctoral position in atomic vapor quantum sensors
- Post-doctoral position in ultrathin optical films and applications to display, bio and lithography
A rolling call of the ICFO PhD Program, with periodic deadlines, is always open for candidates applying to do a PhD at ICFO.
All candidates will be considered for all available fellowships for which they are eligible. Some specific fellowships are announced through targeted calls. Candidates applying to these calls are also considered for all other fellowships for which they are eligible.
Students may also join ICFO with their own funding or through external fellowships. Interested candidates should apply directly to such programs, and may wish to contact ICFO research groups they might be interested to join.
For further general information on fellowships and specific calls, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Under- and Postgraduate Students
Admin & Technical Engineers
Anunci de convocatòria de llocs estructurals resultants de la taxa de reposició addicional i de convocatòria de concurs de mèrits per la provisió de llocs de treball de personal laboral fix a l’ICFO.
- Anunci concurs de mèrits
- Anunci taxa reposició addicional
- Anunci concurs oposició
Tech Transfer & Business Development
Quantum Projects Communication Officer
ICFO is a CERCA research center located in the Mediterranean Technology Park in the metropolitan area of Barcelona, and currently hosts 400+ people, including researchers, PhD students and staff personnel. Today, in its area of specialization and category, the institute is consistently ranked among the highest-quality research institutions worldwide.
The ICFO Communications Unit has ambitious goals to communicate the frontier research activities and the societal impact of this research to the local and international communities. The need for a strong and strategically minded communications unit is of growing importance in order to meet the following objectives:
- Assisting researchers in gaining recognition from a scientific audience as well as the general public
- Reaching and attracting high potential future researchers to the center
- Strengthening the brand recognition of the center
- Transmitting the importance of frontier research in all areas of photonics
- Unifying messages for the multiple divisions within ICFO in order to achieve institutional goals.
In addition, ICFO has been highly successful at obtaining competitive funding to carry out ambitious collaborative research projects at the European level. ICFO’s communications unit coordinates the communication and dissemination aspects of a number of these projects.
We are looking for a dynamic individual with experience in scientific research institutions and European projects to become part of the Science Communications team, giving support to a wide variety of communications efforts, with a strong focus on the implementation of communications actions and activities for a coordinated European Project. The principal responsibilities of this person will be related to managing the communications aspects of an initiative within the pan-European Quantum Flagship in the field of Quantum Communications. The appointment/position is limited, for the moment, to 3-year contract, based on the duration of the project. Extension will be subject to success in the role and continuation of the project.
This person will be instrumental in helping the ICFO Communications Unit to give visibility to the frontier research activities on the local, national and international levels and to communicate societal impact. She/he will be responsible for proposing, defining, executing the communication tasks as well as monitoring and analyzing outcomes of such.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Working areas will include communication within the consortia of partners and with external stakeholders and media. An important aspect of this role will be to raise the awareness about projects and partners, creating strong internal synergies and promoting collaborative efforts to highlight outcomes.
- Plan, define, propose communication actions according to the goals and needs of the projects, projects’ progress and results, projects’ consortia as well as the requirements set by the funding agencies
- Central consortia liaison-contact point for communication needs and information flow
- Scientific and technological content creation for all outlets (projects websites, media, social media, etc)
- Present project progress and outcomes to policymakers, stakeholders and members of consortia
- National and International Media and Press: press relations and contact management as well as content creation in different formats apt for variety of media outlets
- Project related Social Media content creation
- Oversite of creation and maintenance of project website
- Monitor the impact of the content created and disseminated over all channels
- Work in unison with other members of the communications units of partnering institutions/ European Commission to detect needs and maximize efforts to communicate as efficiently as possible.
This position will be funded with the project QSNP – Quantum Security Networks Partnership that has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon Europe research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 101114043.
Share this opening!
Use the following URL:
The appointee must have:
- A degree in physics, chemistry, biology or engineering highly valued.
- Experience in Science Communications, Communications or Journalism (degree or demonstrated experience).
- Basic fluency in Adobe Creative Suite / multi-media editing programs.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work within an international context, with individuals of differing cultural and educational backgrounds.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Creative and “can do” attitude toward resolving unforeseen challenges.
- Ability to perform tasks independently, or as part of a team.
- Proactive attitude.
- Motivation to work hard and to improve upon existing services.
- Self-confident and able to propose and manage new as well as support existing initiatives.
- Meet deadlines and follow up on assignments with a minimum of direction.
- Native Spanish / Catalan with strong English (written and oral if possible proficiency level).
- Occasional travel to consortia meetings.
- The opportunity to become a member of a dynamic and internationally recognized research institution.
- Full-time fixed-term position.
- Salary according to the institutional salary scales.
ICFO is an equal employment opportunity employer. Candidates are selected exclusively on merit and potential on the basis of submitted application material. No restrictions of persons with disabilities, citizenship or gender apply to ICFO positions. ICFO abides by the principles of openness, efficiency, transparency, supportiveness, and international comparability as stated in the European Charter for Researchers and the European Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
The formal application should be submitted online via http://jobs.icfo.eu.
Suitable candidates are requested to submit:
- Curriculum Vitae, including contact details.
Candidates should be willing to be contacted by phone during the selection process and may contact email@example.com for formal inquiries regarding the application.
The call will remain open until suitable candidates are identified.
For updated information about ICFO, please visit http://www.icfo.eu
30th of June, 2023
Identify your interests
As your career goals and research interests are an integral part of the selection procedure itself, apart from the ICFOjobs site, we encourage you to browse ICFO’s corporate website to learn more about ICFO’s research activities and to identify the projects and/or areas that best match your background. We also recommend that you visit Careers @ ICFO. A clear indication of your interests and goals in your presentation letter will help us in reviewing your candidacy.
Did you identify an opening meeting your interest and career goals? Then, we are looking forward to your application!
Should there be no opening matching your interest or background, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or directly contact with the relevant ICFO Group Leaders or Unit Heads to explore potential future possibilities in their fields.
The application process
If you have identified an opening matching your interests, please read carefully the information about requirements, conditions and necessary application material and start the application process. Candidatures should be submitted online via ICFOjobs, our online application interface, in a 2-step procedure:
The button ‘Apply to this opening’ takes you to the online application form, gathering your personal data for identification purposes. Once submitted, you will receive a link by e-mail, which you must follow in order to continue the application process.
In this second step of the process you will be asked to provide further details and the necessary application material, as well as, in some of the openings, to indicate potential referees. All enclosed documentation must be in PDF format or plain text.
Once the application form is complete and the relevant material has been uploaded, submit your candidature by clicking on the ‘apply’ button. Candidates will receive an automatic reply acknowledging submission including a reference number for further enquiries or updates (within deadline).
By submitting an application, you grant ICFO permission to use the provided data for the recruiting process. (See Data Protection Policy.)
The review process
Applications will first be reviewed to assure that they meet the requirements and conditions as indicated in the job opening. Candidatures will then be evaluated by the corresponding Selection Committee according to the selection criteria of each opening. ICFO is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates are selected exclusively on merit and potential on the basis of submitted application material. No restrictions related to disabilities, citizenship or gender apply to ICFO positions. ICFO abides by the principles of openness, efficiency, transparency, supportiveness, and international comparability as stated in the European Charter for Researchers and the European Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
ICFO will notify candidates who are selected to pass to the next stage in the review process. Candidates who do not pass the first step of the review process will be notified of the outcome of their application at this time.
When requested, reference letters play an important role in supporting the candidate in the review process. Unless the call applied for indicate specific requirements in that sense, referees will be automatically contacted by ICFO requesting them to complete a standardized evaluation form and submit a letter of support for the candidates. Candidates should by no means submit a reference letter in support of their own candidature on behalf of their referees. The members of the selection committee will have access to reference letters.
On-site or online interviews (aiming at discussing the candidate’s suitability, project contents, hiring conditions and legal matters, etc.) with the Selection committee may be scheduled.
Notification of results
All candidates will be notified of the outcome of their application. Possible results are:
The Selection Committee reaches the conclusion that the background of other candidate(s) appears to be more suitable for the position.
- Waiting list:
Candidate(s) may be placed on a waiting list based on the shortlist proposed by the Selection Committee. Candidate(s) on this list may receive an offer in the event that the top-candidate does not accept the position. Waiting list candidates will receive a final decision as soon as the top-candidate confirms acceptance.
- Acceptance / offer:
ICFO extends an official offer, asking the selected candidate for formal confirmation of acceptance.
The selection process is completed as soon as the candidate confirms acceptance of the offered position and a tentative starting date has been agreed.
After acceptance @ ICFO
Staff of the ICFO Human Resources and Education Unit will assist new ICFO members with the following procedures:
- Support with administrative and legal matters related to arriving and settling in, including immigration formalities (Visa application process, etc.) and personal assistance in relocation.
- Particularly for PhD-students: Information and advice on the necessary academic documentation to be gathered and submitted for enrollment in the PhD in Photonics program, including information about how to legalize previous studies (e.g. BSc, MSc, etc.) whenever necessary, as well as registration to the doctorate program and academic planning.
ICFO’s applicant database
The applicant database and all applications received through ICFOjobs, are managed by the staff of ICFO’s Human Resources and Education Unit. All information is handled with due confidentiality and solely for the purpose mentioned, and will be made available to the members of the Selection Committee in so far as they are necessary for the management of the process.
As indicated through the application process, other relevant information is also gathered for statistical purposes or in order to verify the eligibility requirements indicated in the corresponding call.
Do I have to submit my application exclusively online or may I also submit a hard copy?
ICFO only accepts applications submitted online via the ICFOjobs interface. As an exception, and only in case of force-majeure problems with electronic submission, candidates may submit their application in hard copy within the deadline.
Is it possible to apply for more than one opening? May I apply even if I have been considered for an ICFO opening in the past (i.e., re-application)?
Do I receive a confirmation acknowledging reception of my application?
Is it possible to update my personal data or application material? Likewise, will I be able to delete my application (and therefore all personal data)?
In the first step of application, through the online application form, you will have to provide your personal data including your contact e-mail. Once submitted, you will receive an acknowledging e-mail, containing a link which you have to follow in order to continue with the procedure (submission of application material, etc.). Via the link you receive by e-mail, you will also be able to update your data and application material (within the established deadlines) or even to withdraw your application.
In case of questions - whom shall I contact for help in submitting my application?
Please contact the recruiting staff of ICFO’s Human Resources at email@example.com.
Particularly for PhD- and Postdoctoral openings: Is it possible to apply even if I have not yet finished the minimum academic qualification required?
Yes, unless the call explicitly indicates otherwise, but please indicate this clearly in your presentation letter. In general, candidates should hold an internationally-recognized degree or evidence of its completion before the prospective starting date.
Applications need to be supported by reference letters. How should these be submitted?
For exact details on how to proceed with reference letters, please check the specific opening you are applying for. In general, you will be requested to indicate name, institution, contact data, and relationship in the last part of the online application form. Depending on the opening, referees will be automatically contacted by ICFO requesting them to complete a standardized evaluation form and submit a letter of support for the candidates. Candidates should by no means submit a reference letter in support of their own candidature on behalf of their referees.
Submission of academic transcripts and degrees?
The required documentation to be submitted for application is indicated in the ‘application process’ of each opening. In general, ICFO will ask that you provide a copy of your most recent academic degree certificate. Additionally, and particularly for fellowships and internship positions, ICFO will also need you to submit scanned copies of your academic transcripts (current and previous studies). The academic transcripts contain the list of courses, including the credits and marks obtained. Provisional degree certificates are generally accepted by ICFO.
The application form requires the indication of my GPA – what shall I indicate?
GPA stands for Grade Point Average. Apart from other criteria, selection for ICFO positions, above all for fellowships and internships, is measured in terms of the academic performance. In this regard, ICFO needs an indication of the average of your final overall grade obtained in your studies (stated in your transcripts), the minimum grade required to pass in your university and the maximum grade that can be achieved or the overall qualification obtained in your PhD-studies (for applicants with a PhD-degree).
Retrieve your application
You can write an email to Human Resources and Education at ICFO.