- Post-doctoral position on ultrafast transient absorption spectroscopy in colloidal quantum dots for infrared optoelectronic applications
- Post-doctoral position in attosecond X-ray spectroscopy
- Post-doctoral position in photonic technology to detect micro-organisms in fluids
- Post-doctoral position in development and application of novel ultrafast parametric sources
- Post-doctoral position in quantum technologies – Software for quantum processing
- Post-doctoral position in quantum technologies – Software for quantum communications
- Post-doctoral positions on intraband colloidal quantum dot optoelectronics for MWIR/LWIR photodetection and light emission
- Post-doctoral and Research Engineer positions in quantum communication
- Post-doctoral positions in quantum light emitters based on colloidal quantum dots
- Post-doctoral position in physics inspired and accelerated algorithms for optimization
- Post-doctoral position in quantum processing nodes using single rare-earth ions
- Post-doctoral positions in functional near-infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS) and diffuse optical tomography
- Post-doctoral position in structured illumination microscopy
- Post-doctoral position in adaptive optics advanced microscopy imaging techniques
- Post-doctoral position in quantum emitters and quantum technologies with two-dimensional materials
- Post-doctoral positions in science and technology of moire quantum matter
- Post-doctoral position in quantum information science
- Post-doctoral position in experimental quantum simulation in quantum gases with competing interactions
- Post-doctoral position in low-noise electron transport in twisted bilayer graphene systems
- Post-doctoral position in theoretical many-body quantum optics
- Post-doctoral position in ultrafast molecular electron diffraction
A rolling call, with periodic deadlines, is always open for candidates applying to do a PhD at ICFO.
All candidates will be considered for all available fellowships for which they are eligible. Some specific fellowships are announced through targeted calls. Candidates applying to these calls are also considered for all other fellowships for which they are eligible.
Students may also join ICFO with their own funding or through external fellowships. Interested candidates should apply directly to such programs, and may wish to contact ICFO research groups they might be interested to join.
For further general information on fellowships and specific calls, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rolling Call - Next Deadline: 27 June 2022
Next PhD Fall Call will open in early July 2022. Stay tune
Admin & Technical Engineers
Tech Transfer & Business Development
Research Engineer positions on colloidal quantum dot LED technology
ICFO is offering Research Engineer positions to a well-qualified and highly motivated researchers/engineers to develop short-wave infrared colloidal quantum dot (CQD) light emitting diodes and systems thereof. We are currently looking for one person to lead the material development and one to lead the device technology thrusts.
The successful candidate will be joining the Functional Optoelectronic NanoMaterials group led by Prof. Dr. Gerasimos Konstantatos.
The aim of this R&D project is to advance the TRL of the CQD Infrared LED technology that is under development at ICFO, in order to deliver highly performing and cost competitive solutions in the field of SWIR lighting for a variety of applications including remote sensing, spectroscopy, structured illumination etc. The project is of high industrial relevance and will involve interaction with industrial stakeholders as well as ICFO’s Knowledge and Technology Transfer unit.
- Synthesis and characterization of new Pb-free infrared Quantum dots and surface/structure engineering for optimization
- Hands-on fabrication and characterization of QLEDs
- Design and implement sophisticated LED architectures for high performance and optical outcoupling
- Stability studies and failure analysis at material and device levels
- Liaise with industrial stakeholders on technology specs and development
- Involvement in IP protection activities (know-how documenting, patent writing)
Share this opening!
Use the following URL:
Candidates must hold an internationally-recognized Ph.D.-equivalent degree (or evidence of its completion in the nearest future) preferably in Material Science, Chemistry, Physics or Electrical Engineering, prior to taking up the position.
The candidate should have:
- Demonstrated experience and hands-on expertise on the fabrication, characterization and optimization of light emitting diodes.
- strong background on the physics of light emitting diodes and be strongly competent in the preparation of setups for the optical and electronic characterization of devices.
- Microfabrication and cleanroom experience as well as design and fabrication of optical/photonic structures for light emitting diodes will be considered a plus.
- Direct demonstrated expertise of the afore-mentioned features in the field of colloidal quantum dot optoelectronics, albeit not required, will be positively evaluated.
- The candidate should also have interests in applications and knowledge on technology and market needs regarding light emission.
- Expertise on the synthesis and characterization of colloidal quantum dots, strongly preferable on III-V CQDs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with proactive character, team-work spirit and organizational skills.
ICFO is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates are selected exclusively on merit and potential on the basis of submitted application material. No restrictions related to disabilities, citizenship or gender apply to ICFO positions. ICFO abides by the principles of openness, efficiency, transparency, supportiveness, and international comparability as stated in the European Charter for Researchers and the European Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
Salary is offered according to the institutional salary scales.
The contract is offered for periods of one year, renewable for a total of up to 2 years.
Additionally, a family allowance is also available on request and after corresponding approval for people with family charges in the terms described in the corresponding policy.
Suitable candidates are requested to submit:
- Presentation letter with a declaration of interest,
- Curriculum Vitae, including contact details,
- The contact e-mail of two potential referees.
Candidates will be assessed as they apply and the call will remain open until the suitable candidate is identified.
For update information about the hosting group, please visit https://www.icfo.eu/lang/research/groups/groups-details?group_id=30.
For updated information about ICFO, please visit https://www.icfo.eu/.
19th of June, 2022
Identify your interests
As your career goals and research interests are an integral part of the selection procedure itself, apart from the ICFOjobs site, we encourage you to browse ICFO’s corporate website to learn more about ICFO’s research activities and to identify the projects and/or areas that best match your background. We also recommend that you visit Careers @ ICFO. A clear indication of your interests and goals in your presentation letter will help us in reviewing your candidacy.
Did you identify an opening meeting your interest and career goals? Then, we are looking forward to your application!
Should there be no opening matching your interest or background, please contact us at email@example.com or directly contact with the relevant ICFO Group Leaders or Unit Heads to explore potential future possibilities in their fields.
The application process
If you have identified an opening matching your interests, please read carefully the information about requirements, conditions and necessary application material and start the application process. Candidatures should be submitted online via ICFOjobs, our online application interface, in a 2-step procedure:
The button ‘Apply to this opening’ takes you to the online application form, gathering your personal data for identification purposes. Once submitted, you will receive a link by e-mail, which you must follow in order to continue the application process.
In this second step of the process you will be asked to provide further details and the necessary application material, as well as, in some of the openings, to indicate potential referees. All enclosed documentation must be in PDF format or plain text.
Once the application form is complete and the relevant material has been uploaded, submit your candidature by clicking on the ‘apply’ button. Candidates will receive an automatic reply acknowledging submission including a reference number for further enquiries or updates (within deadline).
By submitting an application, you grant ICFO permission to use the provided data for the recruiting process. (See Data Protection Policy.)
The review process
Applications will first be reviewed to assure that they meet the requirements and conditions as indicated in the job opening. Candidatures will then be evaluated by the corresponding Selection Committee according to the selection criteria of each opening. ICFO is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates are selected exclusively on merit and potential on the basis of submitted application material. No restrictions related to disabilities, citizenship or gender apply to ICFO positions. ICFO abides by the principles of openness, efficiency, transparency, supportiveness, and international comparability as stated in the European Charter for Researchers and the European Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
ICFO will notify candidates who are selected to pass to the next stage in the review process. Candidates who do not pass the first step of the review process will be notified of the outcome of their application at this time.
When requested, reference letters play an important role in supporting the candidate in the review process. Unless the call applied for indicate specific requirements in that sense, referees will be automatically contacted by ICFO requesting them to complete a standardized evaluation form and submit a letter of support for the candidates. Candidates should by no means submit a reference letter in support of their own candidature on behalf of their referees. The members of the selection committee will have access to reference letters.
On-site or online interviews (aiming at discussing the candidate’s suitability, project contents, hiring conditions and legal matters, etc.) with the Selection committee may be scheduled.
Notification of results
All candidates will be notified of the outcome of their application. Possible results are:
The Selection Committee reaches the conclusion that the background of other candidate(s) appears to be more suitable for the position.
- Waiting list:
Candidate(s) may be placed on a waiting list based on the shortlist proposed by the Selection Committee. Candidate(s) on this list may receive an offer in the event that the top-candidate does not accept the position. Waiting list candidates will receive a final decision as soon as the top-candidate confirms acceptance.
- Acceptance / offer:
ICFO extends an official offer, asking the selected candidate for formal confirmation of acceptance.
The selection process is completed as soon as the candidate confirms acceptance of the offered position and a tentative starting date has been agreed.
After acceptance @ ICFO
Staff of the ICFO Human Resources and Education Unit will assist new ICFO members with the following procedures:
- Support with administrative and legal matters related to arriving and settling in, including immigration formalities (Visa application process, etc.) and personal assistance in relocation.
- Particularly for PhD-students: Information and advice on the necessary academic documentation to be gathered and submitted for enrollment in the PhD in Photonics program, including information about how to legalize previous studies (e.g. BSc, MSc, etc.) whenever necessary, as well as registration to the doctorate program and academic planning.
ICFO’s applicant database
The applicant database and all applications received through ICFOjobs, are managed by the staff of ICFO’s Human Resources and Education Unit. All information is handled with due confidentiality and solely for the purpose mentioned, and will be made available to the members of the Selection Committee in so far as they are necessary for the management of the process.
As indicated through the application process, other relevant information is also gathered for statistical purposes or in order to verify the eligibility requirements indicated in the corresponding call.
Do I have to submit my application exclusively online or may I also submit a hard copy?
ICFO only accepts applications submitted online via the ICFOjobs interface. As an exception, and only in case of force-majeure problems with electronic submission, candidates may submit their application in hard copy within the deadline.
Is it possible to apply for more than one opening? May I apply even if I have been considered for an ICFO opening in the past (i.e., re-application)?
Do I receive a confirmation acknowledging reception of my application?
Is it possible to update my personal data or application material? Likewise, will I be able to delete my application (and therefore all personal data)?
In the first step of application, through the online application form, you will have to provide your personal data including your contact e-mail. Once submitted, you will receive an acknowledging e-mail, containing a link which you have to follow in order to continue with the procedure (submission of application material, etc.). Via the link you receive by e-mail, you will also be able to update your data and application material (within the established deadlines) or even to withdraw your application.
In case of questions - whom shall I contact for help in submitting my application?
Please contact the recruiting staff of ICFO’s Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Particularly for PhD- and Postdoctoral openings: Is it possible to apply even if I have not yet finished the minimum academic qualification required?
Yes, unless the call explicitly indicates otherwise, but please indicate this clearly in your presentation letter. In general, candidates should hold an internationally-recognized degree or evidence of its completion before the prospective starting date.
Applications need to be supported by reference letters. How should these be submitted?
For exact details on how to proceed with reference letters, please check the specific opening you are applying for. In general, you will be requested to indicate name, institution, contact data, and relationship in the last part of the online application form. Depending on the opening, referees will be automatically contacted by ICFO requesting them to complete a standardized evaluation form and submit a letter of support for the candidates. Candidates should by no means submit a reference letter in support of their own candidature on behalf of their referees.
Submission of academic transcripts and degrees?
The required documentation to be submitted for application is indicated in the ‘application process’ of each opening. In general, ICFO will ask that you provide a copy of your most recent academic degree certificate. Additionally, and particularly for fellowships and internship positions, ICFO will also need you to submit scanned copies of your academic transcripts (current and previous studies). The academic transcripts contain the list of courses, including the credits and marks obtained. Provisional degree certificates are generally accepted by ICFO.
The application form requires the indication of my GPA – what shall I indicate?
GPA stands for Grade Point Average. Apart from other criteria, selection for ICFO positions, above all for fellowships and internships, is measured in terms of the academic performance. In this regard, ICFO needs an indication of the average of your final overall grade obtained in your studies (stated in your transcripts), the minimum grade required to pass in your university and the maximum grade that can be achieved or the overall qualification obtained in your PhD-studies (for applicants with a PhD-degree).
Retrieve your application
You can write an email to Human Resources and Education at ICFO.