Cellex ICFO - MPQ Research Fellows
- Post-doctoral position in Quantum Information Theory
- Post-doctoral position in Attosecond physics at nanoscales and beyond
- Post-doctoral position in Quantum Photonics with solids and atoms
- Post-doctoral position in Interfacing atoms and nanophotonics
- Post-doctoral position in Experimental quantum many-body physics with ultracold atoms
- Post-doctoral researcher in quantum nonlinear optics with cold atomic ensembles
- Post-doctoral research position in Atomic Quantum Optics
- Post-doctoral positions in Experimental Quantum Optics with Cold and Ultra-cold Atoms
- Post-doctoral position in biomedical optics for development of miniature systems
- Post-doctoral position in Topological Nano-photonics
- Post-doctoral position in Systems Neuroscience and Optogenetics
- Post-doctoral/ Research Engineer position in Diffuse optics for cancer therapy
- Post-doctoral position on new generation of Mid and Long Wave infrared photodetectors and Bolometers
- Post-doctoral position in emergent phenomena in novel 2D materials
- Post-doctoral position in ultra-fast phenomena in novel correlated 2D heterostructures
- Postdoctoral Position in super resolution imaging at the SLN facility
- Post-doctoral position in combined surface science / nanophotonics (experimental)
- Post-doctoral position for wearable diffuse optical health monitoring with novel detectors
- Post-doctoral position for novel, new diffuse optical instrumentation
- Post-doctoral positions in Functional Optoelectronic Nanomaterials
- Post-doctoral position in ultrafast laser science and nonlinear optics
- Post-doctoral position in near-infrared diffuse optical neuromonitoring in the clinics
- Research engineer position in embedded electronic systems for imaging
- Research engineer position in biomedical optical devices
- Research Engineer (Chemist) on Colloidal Quantum Dot Nanoparticles
- Research engineer position in high-speed electronics for quantum devices
- Research engineer position in graphene-based applications for photodetectors and data communications
- Research engineer of digital electronics for biomedical optics
- Research Engineer position/ Software developer for optical clinical monitors
- Microscopy Research Engineer position at the SLN
- Research engineer position for opto-electronic design
The next General Call for PhD Fellowships at ICFO will be open at the beginning of 2018. Stay tuned!
Please note that ICFO participates with 4 positions, to be awarded between 2017-2019, within the PREBIST PhD-Fellowship program, a COFUND-action funded by the EU Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme, under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No 754558, coordinated by BIST. The call is currently open for applications, closing January 01, 2018. Further information is available at: http://bist.eu/PREBIST/
Under- and Postgraduate Students
Please, note that the call "Student Research Fellowships" is now closed. A new call will be published by the beginning of 2018. Stay tuned!
Admin & Technical Engineers
Research Engineer position/ Software developer for optical clinical monitors
The Medical Optics research group led by Prof. Turgut Durduran at ICFO (http://www.icfo.eu), Barcelona, Spain, is looking for a well-qualified, highly motivated and dynamic young scientist who wishes to enhance his/her scientific career in an international, friendly and stimulating environment.
We are seeking a software developer for the control and user-interface of a new, multi-modal near-infrared diffuse optical clinical monitor. Initially, this project is within the scope of a European project ( http://www.luca-project .eu ) and will continue into other systems. The candidate will work closely with HemoPhotonics S.L. which is a spin-off company of ICFO and interact with other academic, clinical and industrial partners from around Europe. The overall goal is the translation of these new technologies into the markets and into the clinics.
- Develop and customize software for research medical devices
- Work alongside a team of physicists and engineers in a multinational environment
Share this opening!
Use the following URL:
Candidates must hold an internationally-recognized BSc/MSc-degree (or evidence of its completion in the nearest future) preferably in IT/Telecommunications.
- a with excellent C/C++ and Qt programming skills or equivalent.
- strong presentation and communication skills, and high standard of written work
- fluency in written & spoken English
Additional optional skills:
- Interest in developing complete (HW & SW) solutions
- strong FPGA and VHDL programming experience
- exposure to single board computers and micro-controllers
- prior experience developing large complex software
- good analysis and problem-solving skills
- strong desire to learn and explore new technologies
- previous knowledge of medical device design
Contact information of three referees willing to write support letters and discuss the candidate is required.
No restrictions of citizenship apply to the ICFO positions. Female scientists are encouraged to apply.
The contract is offered for periods of one year, renewable for a total of up to three years.
The formal application shall be submitted online.
Suitable candidates are requested to submit:
- A presentation letter with declaration of research interests,
- A Curriculum Vitae, including contact details of three potential referees,
- A scanned copy of the degree, if available at the time of application.
Please, note that candidates should be willing to be contacted by phone during the entire selection process.
Candidates must contact email@example.com for inquiries regarding the application process. Informal science- and project related inquiries may be addressed to Prof Turgut Durduran (firstname.lastname@example.org).
15th of December, 2017
Identify your interests
As your career goals and research interests are an integral part of the selection procedure itself, apart from the ICFOjobs site, we encourage you to browse ICFO’s corporate website to learn more about ICFO’s research activities and to identify the projects and/or areas that best match your background. We also recommend that you visit Careers @ ICFO. A clear indication of your interests and goals in your presentation letter will help us in reviewing your candidacy.
Did you identify an opening meeting your interest and career goals? Then, we are looking forward to your application!
Should there be no opening matching your interest or background, please contact us at email@example.com.
The application process
If you have identified an opening matching your interests, please read carefully the information about requirements, conditions and necessary application material and start the application process. Candidatures should be submitted online via ICFOjobs, our online application interface, in a 2-step procedure:
The button 'Apply to this opening' takes you to the online application form, gathering your personal data for identification purposes. Once submitted, you will receive a link by e-mail, which you must follow in order to continue the application process.
In this second step of the process you will be asked to provide further details and the necessary application material, as well as to indicate potential referees. All enclosed documentation must be in PDF format or plain text.
Once the application form is complete and the relevant material has been uploaded, submit your candidature by clicking on the ‘apply’ button. Candidates will receive an automatic reply acknowledging submission including a reference number for further enquiries or updates (within deadline).
By submitting an application, you grant ICFO permission to use the provided data for the recruiting process. (see Data Protection Policy)
The review process
Applications will first be reviewed to assure that they meet the requirements and conditions as indicated in the job opening. Candidatures will then be evaluated by a scientific and expert selection committee, focussing on the previous experience and background of the applicant. Selection is based on merit and potential, measured in terms of the academic record and personal achievements.
ICFO will notify candidates who are selected to pass to the next stage in the review process, establishing a direct contact with the considering Group Leader(s). Candidates who do not pass the first step of the review process will be notified of the outcome of their application at this time.
Reference letters play an important role in supporting the candidate in the review process. Depending on the call, reference letters must either be submitted directly to ICFO by the referees upon request by the candidate, or submitted upon request by ICFO's recruiting staff. The members of the selection committee will have access to reference letters.
Candidates may be contacted by phone during the selection process. Likewise, on-site interviews may be scheduled.
ICFO will abide by the principles of openness, efficiency, transparency, supportiveness, and international comparability as stated in the European Charter for Researchers and the European Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers. Persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. No restrictions of citizenship or gender apply to ICFO positions.
Notification of results
All candidates will be notified of the outcome of their application. Possible results are:
The selection committee reaches the conclusion that the background of other candidate(s) appears to be more suitable for the position.
- Waiting list:
Candidate(s) may be placed on a waiting list based on the shortlist proposed by the selection committee. Candidate(s) on this list may receive an offer in the event that the top-candidate does not accept the position. Waiting list candidates will receive a final decision as soon as the top-candidate confirms acceptance.
- Acceptance / offer:
ICFO extends an official offer, asking the selected candidate for formal confirmation of acceptance.
The selection process is completed as soon as the candidate confirms acceptance of the offered position and a tentative starting date has been agreed.
After acceptance @ ICFO
Staff of the ICFO Human Resources and Education Unit assist new ICFO members with the following procedures:
- Support with administrative and legal matters related to arriving and settling in, including immigration formalities (Visa application process, etc.) and personal assistance in relocation.
- Particularly for PhD-students: Information and advice on the necessary academic documentation to be gathered and submitted for enrolment in the PhD in Photonics program, including information about how to legalize previous studies (e.g. BSc, MSc, etc.) whenever necessary, as well as registration to the doctorate program and academic planning.
ICFO’s applicant database
The applicant database and all applications received through ICFOjobs, are managed by the staff of ICFO’s Human Resources and Education Unit. All information is handled with due confidentiality and solely for the purpose mentioned, and will be made available to the members of the selection committee in so far as they are necessary for the management of the process.
Do I have to submit my application exclusively online or may I also submit a hard copy?
ICFO only accepts applications submitted online via the ICFOjobs interface. As an exception, and only in case of force-majeure problems with electronic submission, candidates may submit their application in hard copy within the deadline.
Is it possible to apply for more than one opening? May I apply even if I have been considered for an ICFO opening in the past (i.e., re-application)?
Do I receive a confirmation acknowledging reception of my application?
Is it possible to update my personal data or application material? Likewise, will I be able to delete my application (and therefore all personal data)?
In the first step of application, through the online application form, you will have to provide your personal data including your contact e-mail. Once submitted, you will receive an acknowledging e-mail, containing an application number and a link which you have to follow in order to continue with the procedure (submission of application material, etc.). Via the link you receive by e-mail, you will also be able to update your data and application material (within the established deadlines) or even to withdraw your application.
In case of questions - whom shall I contact for help in submitting my application?
Please contact the recruiting staff of ICFO’s Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Should you have already submitted an application online, please do not forget to indicate your application number(s), as well as the name of the opening.
Particularly for PhD- and Postdoctoral openings: Is it possible to apply even if I have not yet finished the minimum academic qualification required?
Yes, unless the call explicitly indicates otherwise. In general, candidates should hold an internationally-recognized degree or evidence of its completion before the prospective starting date.
Applications need to be supported by reference letters. How should these be submitted?
For exact details on how to proceed with reference letters, please check the specific opening you are applying for. In general, you will be requested to indicate name, institution, contact data, and relationship in the last part of the online application form. Depending on the opening, either the ICFO recruiting staff will contact your referees for their assessment, or you will be instructed to ask your referees to submit their reference letters electronically via the online application form or e-mail (email@example.com). Candidates should by no means submit a reference letter in support of their own candidature on behalf of their referees.
Submission of academic transcripts and degrees?
The required documentation to be submitted for application is indicated in the ‘application process’ of each opening. In general, ICFO will ask that you provide a copy of your most recent academic degree certificate. Additionally, and particularly for fellowships and internship positions, ICFO will also need you to submit scanned copies of your academic transcripts (current and previous studies). The academic transcripts contain the list of courses, including the credits and marks obtained. Provisional degree certificates are generally accepted by ICFO.
The application form requires the indication of my GPA – what shall I indicate?
GPA stands for Grade Point Average. Apart from other criteria, selection for ICFO positions, above all for fellowships and internships, is measured in terms of the academic performance. In this regard, ICFO needs an indication of the average of your final overall grade obtained in your studies, or the overall qualification obtained in your PhD-studies (for applicants with a PhD-degree).
Retrieve your application
You can write an email to Human Resources and Education at ICFO.