- Post-doctoral position in neuromonitoring with fNIRS/fDCS for neonatal care
- Post-doctoral position in Quantum Networks with Solid-State Quantum Memories
- Post-doctoral position in Theoretical Quantum Nanophotonics
- Post-doctoral position on Optical Surfaces
- Post-doctoral position in theoretical quantum physics and quantum technologies
- Post-doctoral position in optically detected magnetic resonance
- Post-doctoral position in quantum cryptography
- Post-doctoral position in many-body quantum systems
- Post-doctoral position in experimental quantum communication
- Post-doctoral position in Topological Nano-photonics
- Post-doctoral position in experimental quantum optics with solid-state quantum memories
- Post-doctoral position in hybrid quantum nodes for quantum networks
- Post-doctoral position in Quantum optics of single atoms interacting with single photons
- Post-doctoral position in Quantum NanoMechanics
- Post-doctoral positions in the theory of novel quantum simulators – connecting areas
- Post-doctoral position in Laser speckle physicist for biomedical applications
- Post-doctoral position in functional near-infrared spectroscopy & diffuse correlation spectroscopy
- Post-doctoral position in Mechanical Systems Biology
- Post-doctoral position in Ultrafast Molecular Electron Diffraction
- Post-doctoral position in Membrane-based nano-mechanobiology
- Post-doctoral position on Infrared Photodetectors based on colloidal quantum dots
- Post-doctoral position on Device Physics and Optimization of Solution Processed Nanocrystal / Thin Film Solar Cells
- Post-doctoral position in functional near-infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS) and EEG for neuro-cognitive development in infants
- Post-doctoral or Research Engineer position on synthesis and engineering of colloidal quantum dots for optoelectronic applications
- Post-doctoral position on Infrared Light Emitters based on colloidal quantum dots
- Research engineer position in colloid chemistry
- Research engineer position in FPGA programming for quantum communication experiments
- Research engineer position in software development for quantum communication
- Research engineer position in experimental optical communication
- Research engineer position: CMOS-designer for graphene-based photodetectors
- Research Engineer position for firmware and FPGA programming for Biophotonics Applications
- Research engineer position for biomedical optics/biophotonics
- Research engineer position in optical telecommunication for quantum cryptography
A rolling call, with periodic deadlines, is always open for candidates applying to do a PhD at ICFO.
All candidates will be considered for all available fellowships for which they are eligible. Some specific fellowships are announced through targeted calls. Candidates applying to these calls are also considered for all other fellowships for which they are eligible.
Students may also join ICFO with their own funding or through external fellowships. Interested candidates should apply directly to such programs, and may wish to contact ICFO research groups they might be interested to join.
For general information about admission in ICFO’s PhD program, please visit http://phd.icfo.eu/
For further general information on fellowships and specific calls, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rolling Call - Next Deadline: September 20, 2020
Under- and Postgraduate Students
ICFO Summer Fellows 2020
The Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO), based in the seaside town of Castelldefels on the outskirts of Barcelona, Spain, is devoted to research and education at the highest international level.
For a period of 3 months, between June and September 2020, ICFO will host its summer research fellowship program, providing a unique opportunity to undergraduate students to engage for approximately twelve weeks of full-time research in the research topics active at ICFO under the supervision and mentorship of ICFO Group Leaders.
The Program aims to give students an early exposure to frontier science and research, and offer outstanding undergraduate students the chance to experience first-hand the excitement and challenges posed by research projects within the variety of the ICFO research fields. While conducting a challenging research project, Fellows engage in a focused training program covering the basics and applications of the different research topics active at the institute.
Fellowships will be offered across all ICFO research groups in the following research topics:
- Biophysics & Biomedical Optics
- Optical Sensing, Optoelectronics & Photovoltaics
- Nonlinear Optics, Ultrafast Optics & Atto-Physics
- Nanophotonics, Optomechanics & Nanomechanics
- Experimental Quantum Optics & Quantum Information
- Theoretical Nanophotonics, Quantum Optics & Quantum Information
Interested students should browse the different research group profiles available on the ICFO website, https://www.icfo.eu/lang/research/groups, to identify the groups that best match their interests.
The ICFO Summer Fellows Program is supported by the Fundacio Cellex Barcelona, the Catedra Fundacio Catalunya-La Pedrera Ignacio Cirac a l’ICFO, as well as the Severo Ochoa Centres of Excellence Program of the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness of Spain.
Share this opening!
Use the following URL:
The program attracts outstanding students, ideally within the last two years of their Master-equivalent or Engineering degree studies. Eligible areas include Physics, Engineering, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology.
Please note that this particular summer program is mostly focused on students enrolled in National Universities, who will be given priority.
Although outstanding international applicants may be considered, eligible international undergraduate students are strongly encouraged to apply to the "Student Research Fellowships” program (launched twice a year: February and October).
ICFO is an equal employment opportunity employer. Candidates are selected exclusively on merit and potential on the basis of submitted application material. No restrictions of persons with disabilities, citizenship or gender apply to ICFO positions. ICFO abides by the principles of openness, efficiency, transparency, supportiveness, and international comparability as stated in the European Charter for Researchers and the European Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
Conditions of fellowships
The fellowships are offered for a period of 3 months, between mid-June and September 2020, and are non-renewable. The standard fellowship duration is three months, although specific conditions may be negotiated during the selection process.
The fellowships include a stipend of 2.000 euros (gross), for a three-month full-time dedication. Eligible travel expenses are also covered.
1st step: Submit your application
To apply for a fellowship, suitable candidates are requested to submit the following documents (in English):
- A presentation/motivation letter stating research group (s) of interest.
- A Curriculum Vitae, including contact details, in English.
- A scanned copy of the academic transcripts for the undergraduate and postgraduate (if applies), in English or Spanish.
- Name and contact details of one potential referee.
The deadline for submission of the application material, is March 08, 2020.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to make sure all required application material (see above), is complete by the time of deadline, in order to be considered.
2nd step: Review process
In a first revision stage, applications will first be reviewed to assure that they meet the eligibility requirements and conditions and candidates will be notified accordingly. Eligible applications will be evaluated by the Selection Committee. Candidates who have the required experience will be invited to pass on to the second revision stage, in which h/she and the evaluating ICFO Group Leader(s) will be discussing the research interests and suitability of the candidate for a potential project, as well as other particular conditions. An interview, either in person or by phone, is a fundamental part of the procedure.
In case of a final positive evaluation, the candidate will receive an official fellowship offer from ICFO.
All applicants will be notified the decision in their case by the end of May 2020, at the latest.
8th of March, 2020
Identify your interests
As your career goals and research interests are an integral part of the selection procedure itself, apart from the ICFOjobs site, we encourage you to browse ICFO’s corporate website to learn more about ICFO’s research activities and to identify the projects and/or areas that best match your background. We also recommend that you visit Careers @ ICFO. A clear indication of your interests and goals in your presentation letter will help us in reviewing your candidacy.
Did you identify an opening meeting your interest and career goals? Then, we are looking forward to your application!
Should there be no opening matching your interest or background, please contact us at email@example.com.
The application process
If you have identified an opening matching your interests, please read carefully the information about requirements, conditions and necessary application material and start the application process. Candidatures should be submitted online via ICFOjobs, our online application interface, in a 2-step procedure:
The button 'Apply to this opening' takes you to the online application form, gathering your personal data for identification purposes. Once submitted, you will receive a link by e-mail, which you must follow in order to continue the application process.
In this second step of the process you will be asked to provide further details and the necessary application material, as well as to indicate potential referees. All enclosed documentation must be in PDF format or plain text.
Once the application form is complete and the relevant material has been uploaded, submit your candidature by clicking on the ‘apply’ button. Candidates will receive an automatic reply acknowledging submission including a reference number for further enquiries or updates (within deadline).
By submitting an application, you grant ICFO permission to use the provided data for the recruiting process. (see Data Protection Policy)
The review process
Applications will first be reviewed to assure that they meet the requirements and conditions as indicated in the job opening. Candidatures will then be evaluated by a scientific and expert selection committee, focussing on the previous experience and background of the applicant. Selection is based on merit and potential, measured in terms of the academic record and personal achievements.
ICFO will notify candidates who are selected to pass to the next stage in the review process, establishing a direct contact with the considering Group Leader(s). Candidates who do not pass the first step of the review process will be notified of the outcome of their application at this time.
Reference letters play an important role in supporting the candidate in the review process. Depending on the call, reference letters must either be submitted directly to ICFO by the referees upon request by the candidate, or submitted upon request by ICFO's recruiting staff. The members of the selection committee will have access to reference letters.
Candidates may be contacted by phone during the selection process. Likewise, on-site interviews may be scheduled.
ICFO will abide by the principles of openness, efficiency, transparency, supportiveness, and international comparability as stated in the European Charter for Researchers and the European Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers. Persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. No restrictions of citizenship or gender apply to ICFO positions.
Notification of results
All candidates will be notified of the outcome of their application. Possible results are:
The selection committee reaches the conclusion that the background of other candidate(s) appears to be more suitable for the position.
- Waiting list:
Candidate(s) may be placed on a waiting list based on the shortlist proposed by the selection committee. Candidate(s) on this list may receive an offer in the event that the top-candidate does not accept the position. Waiting list candidates will receive a final decision as soon as the top-candidate confirms acceptance.
- Acceptance / offer:
ICFO extends an official offer, asking the selected candidate for formal confirmation of acceptance.
The selection process is completed as soon as the candidate confirms acceptance of the offered position and a tentative starting date has been agreed.
After acceptance @ ICFO
Staff of the ICFO Human Resources and Education Unit assist new ICFO members with the following procedures:
- Support with administrative and legal matters related to arriving and settling in, including immigration formalities (Visa application process, etc.) and personal assistance in relocation.
- Particularly for PhD-students: Information and advice on the necessary academic documentation to be gathered and submitted for enrolment in the PhD in Photonics program, including information about how to legalize previous studies (e.g. BSc, MSc, etc.) whenever necessary, as well as registration to the doctorate program and academic planning.
ICFO’s applicant database
The applicant database and all applications received through ICFOjobs, are managed by the staff of ICFO’s Human Resources and Education Unit. All information is handled with due confidentiality and solely for the purpose mentioned, and will be made available to the members of the selection committee in so far as they are necessary for the management of the process.
Do I have to submit my application exclusively online or may I also submit a hard copy?
ICFO only accepts applications submitted online via the ICFOjobs interface. As an exception, and only in case of force-majeure problems with electronic submission, candidates may submit their application in hard copy within the deadline.
Is it possible to apply for more than one opening? May I apply even if I have been considered for an ICFO opening in the past (i.e., re-application)?
Do I receive a confirmation acknowledging reception of my application?
Is it possible to update my personal data or application material? Likewise, will I be able to delete my application (and therefore all personal data)?
In the first step of application, through the online application form, you will have to provide your personal data including your contact e-mail. Once submitted, you will receive an acknowledging e-mail, containing an application number and a link which you have to follow in order to continue with the procedure (submission of application material, etc.). Via the link you receive by e-mail, you will also be able to update your data and application material (within the established deadlines) or even to withdraw your application.
In case of questions - whom shall I contact for help in submitting my application?
Please contact the recruiting staff of ICFO’s Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Should you have already submitted an application online, please do not forget to indicate your application number(s), as well as the name of the opening.
Particularly for PhD- and Postdoctoral openings: Is it possible to apply even if I have not yet finished the minimum academic qualification required?
Yes, unless the call explicitly indicates otherwise. In general, candidates should hold an internationally-recognized degree or evidence of its completion before the prospective starting date.
Applications need to be supported by reference letters. How should these be submitted?
For exact details on how to proceed with reference letters, please check the specific opening you are applying for. In general, you will be requested to indicate name, institution, contact data, and relationship in the last part of the online application form. Depending on the opening, either the ICFO recruiting staff will contact your referees for their assessment, or you will be instructed to ask your referees to submit their reference letters electronically via the online application form or e-mail (email@example.com). Candidates should by no means submit a reference letter in support of their own candidature on behalf of their referees.
Submission of academic transcripts and degrees?
The required documentation to be submitted for application is indicated in the ‘application process’ of each opening. In general, ICFO will ask that you provide a copy of your most recent academic degree certificate. Additionally, and particularly for fellowships and internship positions, ICFO will also need you to submit scanned copies of your academic transcripts (current and previous studies). The academic transcripts contain the list of courses, including the credits and marks obtained. Provisional degree certificates are generally accepted by ICFO.
The application form requires the indication of my GPA – what shall I indicate?
GPA stands for Grade Point Average. Apart from other criteria, selection for ICFO positions, above all for fellowships and internships, is measured in terms of the academic performance. In this regard, ICFO needs an indication of the average of your final overall grade obtained in your studies, or the overall qualification obtained in your PhD-studies (for applicants with a PhD-degree).
Retrieve your application
You can write an email to Human Resources and Education at ICFO.