- Post-doctoral positions (up to two) in twistronics
- Post-doctoral position in optical quantum technologies
- Post-doctoral position in Theoretical Atto-Physics
- Post-doctoral position in Thermal Photonics
- Post-doctoral position in quantum information science
- Post-doctoral position in open quantum systems
- Postdoctoral position in thermal emission control with low-dimensional materials
- Post-doctoral position in Organelle Morphology and Intracellular Dynamics
- Post-doctoral position in theory of atomic quantum sensors
- Post-doctoral position in Optical monitoring for the endothehial health evaluation in post-intensive-care COVID-19 patients
- Postdoctoral position on light scattering methods for online assessment of turbid media in food manufacturing
- Postdoctoral position on the development of a low-cost, portable near-infrared diffuse optical monitor for the intensive care unit in collaboration with U. Texas Southwestern and ICFO
- Post-doctoral position in correlations of many-body quantum systems
- Post-doctoral position in thin film photovoltaics development
- Post-doctoral positions (up to two) in high-density diffuse optical tomography
- Post-doctoral Position in Attosecond X-ray Spectroscopy
- Post-doctoral position in Optical Trapping and Cell Biology
- Post-doctoral position in quantum information theory and metrology
- Post-doctoral position in quantum many-body physics
- Post-doctoral position in Mechanobiology of Cerebral Organoids
- Post-doctoral positions on Colloidal Quantum Dot Infrared Light Emission and Lasing
- Post-doctoral position in experimental quantum communication
- Post-doctoral positions on Intraband Colloidal Quantum Dot Optoelectronics for MWIR/LWIR Photodetection and Light Emission
- Post-doctoral position in graphene related electrochemical energy storage systems
- Post-doctoral position in photovoltaics-electrolyzer integration for H2 or solar fuel production
- Post-doctoral position on Ultrafast Transient Absorption Spectroscopy in Colloidal Quantum Dots for Infrared Optoelectronic Applications
- Post-doctoral position in experimental quantum optics with solid-state quantum memories
- Post-doctoral position in hybrid quantum nodes for quantum networks
- Post-doctoral position in Quantum optics of single atoms interacting with single photons
- Post-doctoral positions in the theory of novel quantum simulators – connecting areas
- Post-doctoral position in Ultrafast Molecular Electron Diffraction
A rolling call, with periodic deadlines, is always open for candidates applying to do a PhD at ICFO.
All candidates will be considered for all available fellowships for which they are eligible. Some specific fellowships are announced through targeted calls. Candidates applying to these calls are also considered for all other fellowships for which they are eligible.
Students may also join ICFO with their own funding or through external fellowships. Interested candidates should apply directly to such programs, and may wish to contact ICFO research groups they might be interested to join.
For general information about admission in ICFO’s PhD program, please visit http://phd.icfo.eu/
For further general information on fellowships and specific calls, please contact us at email@example.com
Rolling Call - Next Deadline: 29 November 2021
Admin & Technical Engineers
Tech Transfer & Business Development
SPIE@ICFO Maria Yzuel Fellowship Awards - Fellowship Awards for Female Undergraduate and Master Students
Undertaking a challenging research project is vital for launching an ambitious research career.
ICFO is aware of the importance of encouraging women’s participation in science to enhance innovation, creativity and excellence in research.
The SPIE@ICFO Maria Yzuel Fellowship Awards aims to attract outstanding female students to conduct a Research Internship, Bachelor or Master Thesis with an ICFO research group.
By offering young women the possibility to explore science in a stimulating and supporting environment, these awards aim to attract, retain and promote female talent towards future research careers in the photonic sciences.
Up to 3 fellowships will be offered across all ICFO research groups in the following research topics:
- Biophysics & Biomedical Optics
- Optical Sensing, Optoelectronics & Photovoltaics
- Nonlinear Optics, Ultrafast Optics & Atto-Physics
- Nanophotonics, Optomechanics & Nanomechanics
- Experimental Quantum Optics & Quantum Information
- Theoretical Nanophotonics, Quantum Optics & Quantum Information
Interested students should browse the different research group profiles available on the ICFO website, https://www.icfo.eu/lang/research/groups, to identify the groups that best match their interests.
Selected students will participate in ICFO’s rich scientific life, benefit from the experience of ICFO researchers, cutting edge facilities, industrial projects, the institute’s stimulating and interdisciplinary environment, and as receive high-level training as well as extensive admin and tech support. They will collaborate with scientists on research assignments tailored from available projects at ICFO, and will also acquire skills for communicating their research results.
Share this opening!
Use the following URL:
Candidates must be enrolled/registered to an undergraduate or master’s program during the period of the internship at ICFO. Eligible areas include, but are not limited to, Physics, Engineering, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology.
Have a high working knowledge of English.
ICFO is an equal employment opportunity employer. Candidates are selected exclusively on merit and potential on the basis of submitted application material. No restrictions of persons with disabilities or citizenship apply to ICFO positions. ICFO abides by the principles of openness, efficiency, transparency, supportiveness, and international comparability as stated in the European Charter for Researchers and the European Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
The duration of the stay covered by this program can be from a minimum of three (3) months to a maximum of six (6) months, with flexible starting date, but not later than December 2021. Students may stay for a longer period after the fellowships ends, e.g. to complete a Master thesis, if agreed with the corresponding host group.
The stay will have to be formalized by a training agreement between the student’s home university/institution and ICFO. Please, note that any potential offer for a fellowship at ICFO is subject to the previous verification of viability of said training agreement.
For students living in Catalunya, the fellowship include a stipend of 300 euros monthly gross, for full-time dedication.
For students that do not live in Catalunya, the fellowship include a stipend of 600 euros monthly gross, for full-time dedication. Eligible travel expenses are also covered.
1st step: Submit your application
To apply for a fellowship, suitable candidates are requested to submit the following documents (in English):
- A presentation/motivation letter stating research group (s) of interest and answering the question: why this fellowship will benefit your career?
- A Curriculum Vitae, including contact details, in English.
- A scanned copy of the academic transcripts for the undergraduate and postgraduate (if applies), in English or Spanish.
- Name and contact details of one potential referee. For candidates shortlisted for interview, this referee will be automatically contacted by ICFO requesting them to provide a reference letter.
The deadline for submission of the application material, is January 10, 2021.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to make sure all required application material (see above), is complete by the time of deadline, in order to be considered.
2nd step: Review process
Selection of Fellows is based on merit and potential, measured in terms of academic records and personal achievements. Proactive attitudes, participation in community activities, and capacity for team-work are also taken into account.
In a first revision stage, applications will first be reviewed to assure that they meet the eligibility requirements and conditions and candidates will be notified accordingly by the end of January 2021, at the latest.
In the second step of the selection procedure, shortlisted candidates will receive invitations for videoconference interviews with the selection committee and ICFO Group/Team Leaders, planned to take place at the beginning of February, 2021.
Fellowship offers will be made to the successful candidates shortly after the interviews, on Mid-February 2021, at the latest.
At all stages of the process, candidates may contact ICFO Human Resources and Education via firstname.lastname@example.org.
10th of January, 2021
Identify your interests
As your career goals and research interests are an integral part of the selection procedure itself, apart from the ICFOjobs site, we encourage you to browse ICFO’s corporate website to learn more about ICFO’s research activities and to identify the projects and/or areas that best match your background. We also recommend that you visit Careers @ ICFO. A clear indication of your interests and goals in your presentation letter will help us in reviewing your candidacy.
Did you identify an opening meeting your interest and career goals? Then, we are looking forward to your application!
Should there be no opening matching your interest or background, please contact us at email@example.com or directly contact with the relevant ICFO Group Leaders or Unit Heads to explore potential future possibilities in their fields.
The application process
If you have identified an opening matching your interests, please read carefully the information about requirements, conditions and necessary application material and start the application process. Candidatures should be submitted online via ICFOjobs, our online application interface, in a 2-step procedure:
The button ‘Apply to this opening’ takes you to the online application form, gathering your personal data for identification purposes. Once submitted, you will receive a link by e-mail, which you must follow in order to continue the application process.
In this second step of the process you will be asked to provide further details and the necessary application material, as well as, in some of the openings, to indicate potential referees. All enclosed documentation must be in PDF format or plain text.
Once the application form is complete and the relevant material has been uploaded, submit your candidature by clicking on the ‘apply’ button. Candidates will receive an automatic reply acknowledging submission including a reference number for further enquiries or updates (within deadline).
By submitting an application, you grant ICFO permission to use the provided data for the recruiting process. (See Data Protection Policy.)
The review process
Applications will first be reviewed to assure that they meet the requirements and conditions as indicated in the job opening. Candidatures will then be evaluated by the corresponding Selection Committee according to the selection criteria of each opening. ICFO is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates are selected exclusively on merit and potential on the basis of submitted application material. No restrictions related to disabilities, citizenship or gender apply to ICFO positions. ICFO abides by the principles of openness, efficiency, transparency, supportiveness, and international comparability as stated in the European Charter for Researchers and the European Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
ICFO will notify candidates who are selected to pass to the next stage in the review process. Candidates who do not pass the first step of the review process will be notified of the outcome of their application at this time.
When requested, reference letters play an important role in supporting the candidate in the review process. Unless the call applied for indicate specific requirements in that sense, referees will be automatically contacted by ICFO requesting them to complete a standardized evaluation form and submit a letter of support for the candidates. Candidates should by no means submit a reference letter in support of their own candidature on behalf of their referees. The members of the selection committee will have access to reference letters.
On-site or online interviews (aiming at discussing the candidate’s suitability, project contents, hiring conditions and legal matters, etc.) with the Selection committee may be scheduled.
Notification of results
All candidates will be notified of the outcome of their application. Possible results are:
The Selection Committee reaches the conclusion that the background of other candidate(s) appears to be more suitable for the position.
- Waiting list:
Candidate(s) may be placed on a waiting list based on the shortlist proposed by the Selection Committee. Candidate(s) on this list may receive an offer in the event that the top-candidate does not accept the position. Waiting list candidates will receive a final decision as soon as the top-candidate confirms acceptance.
- Acceptance / offer:
ICFO extends an official offer, asking the selected candidate for formal confirmation of acceptance.
The selection process is completed as soon as the candidate confirms acceptance of the offered position and a tentative starting date has been agreed.
After acceptance @ ICFO
Staff of the ICFO Human Resources and Education Unit will assist new ICFO members with the following procedures:
- Support with administrative and legal matters related to arriving and settling in, including immigration formalities (Visa application process, etc.) and personal assistance in relocation.
- Particularly for PhD-students: Information and advice on the necessary academic documentation to be gathered and submitted for enrollment in the PhD in Photonics program, including information about how to legalize previous studies (e.g. BSc, MSc, etc.) whenever necessary, as well as registration to the doctorate program and academic planning.
ICFO’s applicant database
The applicant database and all applications received through ICFOjobs, are managed by the staff of ICFO’s Human Resources and Education Unit. All information is handled with due confidentiality and solely for the purpose mentioned, and will be made available to the members of the Selection Committee in so far as they are necessary for the management of the process.
As indicated through the application process, other relevant information is also gathered for statistical purposes or in order to verify the eligibility requirements indicated in the corresponding call.
Do I have to submit my application exclusively online or may I also submit a hard copy?
ICFO only accepts applications submitted online via the ICFOjobs interface. As an exception, and only in case of force-majeure problems with electronic submission, candidates may submit their application in hard copy within the deadline.
Is it possible to apply for more than one opening? May I apply even if I have been considered for an ICFO opening in the past (i.e., re-application)?
Do I receive a confirmation acknowledging reception of my application?
Is it possible to update my personal data or application material? Likewise, will I be able to delete my application (and therefore all personal data)?
In the first step of application, through the online application form, you will have to provide your personal data including your contact e-mail. Once submitted, you will receive an acknowledging e-mail, containing a link which you have to follow in order to continue with the procedure (submission of application material, etc.). Via the link you receive by e-mail, you will also be able to update your data and application material (within the established deadlines) or even to withdraw your application.
In case of questions - whom shall I contact for help in submitting my application?
Please contact the recruiting staff of ICFO’s Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Particularly for PhD- and Postdoctoral openings: Is it possible to apply even if I have not yet finished the minimum academic qualification required?
Yes, unless the call explicitly indicates otherwise, but please indicate this clearly in your presentation letter. In general, candidates should hold an internationally-recognized degree or evidence of its completion before the prospective starting date.
Applications need to be supported by reference letters. How should these be submitted?
For exact details on how to proceed with reference letters, please check the specific opening you are applying for. In general, you will be requested to indicate name, institution, contact data, and relationship in the last part of the online application form. Depending on the opening, referees will be automatically contacted by ICFO requesting them to complete a standardized evaluation form and submit a letter of support for the candidates. Candidates should by no means submit a reference letter in support of their own candidature on behalf of their referees.
Submission of academic transcripts and degrees?
The required documentation to be submitted for application is indicated in the ‘application process’ of each opening. In general, ICFO will ask that you provide a copy of your most recent academic degree certificate. Additionally, and particularly for fellowships and internship positions, ICFO will also need you to submit scanned copies of your academic transcripts (current and previous studies). The academic transcripts contain the list of courses, including the credits and marks obtained. Provisional degree certificates are generally accepted by ICFO.
The application form requires the indication of my GPA – what shall I indicate?
GPA stands for Grade Point Average. Apart from other criteria, selection for ICFO positions, above all for fellowships and internships, is measured in terms of the academic performance. In this regard, ICFO needs an indication of the average of your final overall grade obtained in your studies (stated in your transcripts), the minimum grade required to pass in your university and the maximum grade that can be achieved or the overall qualification obtained in your PhD-studies (for applicants with a PhD-degree).
Retrieve your application
You can write an email to Human Resources and Education at ICFO.