- Post-doctoral position in theoretical many-body quantum optics
- Post-doctoral position in attosecond X-ray spectroscopy
- Post-doctoral positions in novel ultrafast spectroscopy methods for photosynthesis and bioenergetics
- Post-doctoral position under the coordinated action QUCATS
- Post-doctoral position in quantum emitters and quantum technologies with two-dimensional materials
- Post-doctoral positions in science and technology of moire quantum matter
- Post-doctoral position in experimental quantum simulation in quantum gases with competing interactions
- Post-doctoral position in machine-learning for biophotonics and neurocritical care
- Post-doctoral positions on intraband colloidal quantum dot optoelectronics for MWIR/LWIR photodetection and light emission
- Post-doctoral positions in quantum light emitters based on colloidal quantum dots
- Post-doctoral position in physics inspired and accelerated algorithms for optimization
- Post-doctoral position in quantum processing nodes using single rare-earth ions
- Post-doctoral and Research Engineer positions in quantum technologies
- Post-doctoral position on ultrafast transient absorption spectroscopy in colloidal quantum dots for infrared optoelectronic applications
- Post-doctoral position in low-noise electron transport in twisted bilayer graphene systems
- Post-doctoral positions in functional near-infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS) and diffuse optical tomography
- Post-doctoral position in ultrafast molecular electron diffraction
- Research engineer position in biophysics of peripheral heterochromatin in progeria
- Research Engineer positions on colloidal quantum dot LED technology
- Research Engineer position for firmware and FPGA programming for Biophotonics Applications
- Research Engineer position for biomedical optics/biophotonics
A rolling call, with periodic deadlines, is always open for candidates applying to do a PhD at ICFO.
All candidates will be considered for all available fellowships for which they are eligible. Some specific fellowships are announced through targeted calls. Candidates applying to these calls are also considered for all other fellowships for which they are eligible.
Students may also join ICFO with their own funding or through external fellowships. Interested candidates should apply directly to such programs, and may wish to contact ICFO research groups they might be interested to join.
For further general information on fellowships and specific calls, please contact us at email@example.com
Rolling Call - Next Deadline: 12 September 2022
Admin & Technical Engineers
Tech Transfer & Business Development
Post-doctoral position in Translational Research in advanced microscopy and rare diseases
ICFO is offering a postdoctoral position to a well-qualified, highly motivated and dynamic young scientist who wishes to enhance his/her scientific career in a friendly and stimulating environment.
This position will be dedicated to the research lines developed within the Joint Lab ICFO-SJD. This is the framework of a joint effort between ICFO and Institut de Recerca Sant Joan de Déu aimed at improving neonatal and paediatric healthcare by exploiting the latest developments in Physics and Biomedicine.
The selected candidate will work halfway between the ICFO (under the supervision of Dr. Pablo Loza-Alvarez, head of the The Super-resolution Light-microscopy and Nanoscopy lab (SLN facility) , http://sln.icfo.eu http://sln.icfo.eu and the Institute of Pediatric Research Hospital Sant Joan de Déu IR-SJD (under the supervision of Dr. Jimenez-Mallebrera head of the group on Translational Research on Neuromuscular Disorders and Dr. Roldan, head of the Confocal microscopy Unit).
The Super-resolution Light-microscopy and Nanoscopy lab (SLN) at ICFO performs R&D in advanced light microscopy techniques that are a step ahead of those commercially available. Research includes advanced confocal and multiphoton microscopy, light-sheet fluorescence microscopy (LSFM), super resolution (STED and STORM) microscopy, and Raman spectroscopy. The SLN hosts 8 full-time (postdoc) researchers, 2 PhD student and 1 technician. The SLN has been designated a Leica Nanoscopy Imaging Centre.
The Institute of Paediatric Research Hospital Sant Joan de Déu (IRP-HSJD) is based at the Hospital Sant Joan de Déu, which is one of the leading Hospitals in Europe for childhood and adolescence. The group at the IR-SJD is a multidisciplinary team working in the diagnosis, management and research of pediatric neuromuscular diseases.
The project is entitled “Application of advanced multimodal microscopy and imaging to foster therapy development in neuromuscular diseases”. It aims at developing and applying a range of advanced microscopy (confocal, multiphoton, super-resolution, light sheet microscopy amongst others) and image analysis technologies to study collagen VI and related proteins in the context of Muscular Dystrophies. The objective is facilitate the development and implementation of novel therapies for this group of devastating rare diseases.
Share this opening!
Use the following URL:
We are looking for candidates with a focus in translational research into rare diseases with the following skills:
- We are looking for highly motivated life scientist holding a bachelor´s degree and a Ph.D. in Life or Biomedical Sciences (Biology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Biomedicine and related disciplines).
- Experience in microscopy and an interest in learning and developing advanced microscopy technologies and related image analysis.
- Experience in sample preparation for microscopy (live and fixed samples).
- Experience in cell culture.
- Experience in molecular biology including cell transfection.
- Candidates must have a strong record of publications as first author in peer reviewed journals as well as demonstrate their participation in competitive projects and grants.
- Good knowledge of both spoken and written English is required.
- Successful applicants are expected to work in an interdisciplinary team, managing multiple tasks, having good organizational skills, and willingness to work outside their core expertise.
- Willing to travel frequently between ICFO (Castelldefels, Barcelona) and the Hospital Sant Joan de Déu (Esplugues de llobregat, Barcelona)
- It is expected that the candidate will apply for competitive funding grant schemes during the contract.
- Able to use independently various microscopy platforms including confocal microscopy (or experience at independent user level in confocal microscopy)
- Experience using image analysis software and methodologies. Experience in programming or being able to do macros will be favourable evaluated.
- Qualified to work with experimental animal models in Spain/Catalunya
- Participation and familiarity with writing project proposal, scientific papers and presenting scientific data.
ICFO is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates are selected exclusively on merit and potential on the basis of submitted application material. No restrictions related to disabilities, citizenship or gender apply to ICFO positions. ICFO abides by the principles of openness, efficiency, transparency, supportiveness, and international comparability as stated in the European Charter for Researchers and the European Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
- Working in a thriving international environment in two highly prestigious research institutions.
- Commitment to continuous professional development through the ICFO and IR-SJD training schemes in technical and transferable skills.
- The contract is offered for periods of one year, renewable for a total of up to 2 years.
Suitable candidates are requested to submit:
- Presentation letter with a declaration of interest,
- Curriculum Vitae, including contact details,
- The contact e-mail of two potential referees.
updated information about ICFO, please visithttps://www.icfo.eu/.
Until positions are filled.
Identify your interests
As your career goals and research interests are an integral part of the selection procedure itself, apart from the ICFOjobs site, we encourage you to browse ICFO’s corporate website to learn more about ICFO’s research activities and to identify the projects and/or areas that best match your background. We also recommend that you visit Careers @ ICFO. A clear indication of your interests and goals in your presentation letter will help us in reviewing your candidacy.
Did you identify an opening meeting your interest and career goals? Then, we are looking forward to your application!
Should there be no opening matching your interest or background, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or directly contact with the relevant ICFO Group Leaders or Unit Heads to explore potential future possibilities in their fields.
The application process
If you have identified an opening matching your interests, please read carefully the information about requirements, conditions and necessary application material and start the application process. Candidatures should be submitted online via ICFOjobs, our online application interface, in a 2-step procedure:
The button ‘Apply to this opening’ takes you to the online application form, gathering your personal data for identification purposes. Once submitted, you will receive a link by e-mail, which you must follow in order to continue the application process.
In this second step of the process you will be asked to provide further details and the necessary application material, as well as, in some of the openings, to indicate potential referees. All enclosed documentation must be in PDF format or plain text.
Once the application form is complete and the relevant material has been uploaded, submit your candidature by clicking on the ‘apply’ button. Candidates will receive an automatic reply acknowledging submission including a reference number for further enquiries or updates (within deadline).
By submitting an application, you grant ICFO permission to use the provided data for the recruiting process. (See Data Protection Policy.)
The review process
Applications will first be reviewed to assure that they meet the requirements and conditions as indicated in the job opening. Candidatures will then be evaluated by the corresponding Selection Committee according to the selection criteria of each opening. ICFO is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates are selected exclusively on merit and potential on the basis of submitted application material. No restrictions related to disabilities, citizenship or gender apply to ICFO positions. ICFO abides by the principles of openness, efficiency, transparency, supportiveness, and international comparability as stated in the European Charter for Researchers and the European Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
ICFO will notify candidates who are selected to pass to the next stage in the review process. Candidates who do not pass the first step of the review process will be notified of the outcome of their application at this time.
When requested, reference letters play an important role in supporting the candidate in the review process. Unless the call applied for indicate specific requirements in that sense, referees will be automatically contacted by ICFO requesting them to complete a standardized evaluation form and submit a letter of support for the candidates. Candidates should by no means submit a reference letter in support of their own candidature on behalf of their referees. The members of the selection committee will have access to reference letters.
On-site or online interviews (aiming at discussing the candidate’s suitability, project contents, hiring conditions and legal matters, etc.) with the Selection committee may be scheduled.
Notification of results
All candidates will be notified of the outcome of their application. Possible results are:
The Selection Committee reaches the conclusion that the background of other candidate(s) appears to be more suitable for the position.
- Waiting list:
Candidate(s) may be placed on a waiting list based on the shortlist proposed by the Selection Committee. Candidate(s) on this list may receive an offer in the event that the top-candidate does not accept the position. Waiting list candidates will receive a final decision as soon as the top-candidate confirms acceptance.
- Acceptance / offer:
ICFO extends an official offer, asking the selected candidate for formal confirmation of acceptance.
The selection process is completed as soon as the candidate confirms acceptance of the offered position and a tentative starting date has been agreed.
After acceptance @ ICFO
Staff of the ICFO Human Resources and Education Unit will assist new ICFO members with the following procedures:
- Support with administrative and legal matters related to arriving and settling in, including immigration formalities (Visa application process, etc.) and personal assistance in relocation.
- Particularly for PhD-students: Information and advice on the necessary academic documentation to be gathered and submitted for enrollment in the PhD in Photonics program, including information about how to legalize previous studies (e.g. BSc, MSc, etc.) whenever necessary, as well as registration to the doctorate program and academic planning.
ICFO’s applicant database
The applicant database and all applications received through ICFOjobs, are managed by the staff of ICFO’s Human Resources and Education Unit. All information is handled with due confidentiality and solely for the purpose mentioned, and will be made available to the members of the Selection Committee in so far as they are necessary for the management of the process.
As indicated through the application process, other relevant information is also gathered for statistical purposes or in order to verify the eligibility requirements indicated in the corresponding call.
Do I have to submit my application exclusively online or may I also submit a hard copy?
ICFO only accepts applications submitted online via the ICFOjobs interface. As an exception, and only in case of force-majeure problems with electronic submission, candidates may submit their application in hard copy within the deadline.
Is it possible to apply for more than one opening? May I apply even if I have been considered for an ICFO opening in the past (i.e., re-application)?
Do I receive a confirmation acknowledging reception of my application?
Is it possible to update my personal data or application material? Likewise, will I be able to delete my application (and therefore all personal data)?
In the first step of application, through the online application form, you will have to provide your personal data including your contact e-mail. Once submitted, you will receive an acknowledging e-mail, containing a link which you have to follow in order to continue with the procedure (submission of application material, etc.). Via the link you receive by e-mail, you will also be able to update your data and application material (within the established deadlines) or even to withdraw your application.
In case of questions - whom shall I contact for help in submitting my application?
Please contact the recruiting staff of ICFO’s Human Resources at email@example.com.
Particularly for PhD- and Postdoctoral openings: Is it possible to apply even if I have not yet finished the minimum academic qualification required?
Yes, unless the call explicitly indicates otherwise, but please indicate this clearly in your presentation letter. In general, candidates should hold an internationally-recognized degree or evidence of its completion before the prospective starting date.
Applications need to be supported by reference letters. How should these be submitted?
For exact details on how to proceed with reference letters, please check the specific opening you are applying for. In general, you will be requested to indicate name, institution, contact data, and relationship in the last part of the online application form. Depending on the opening, referees will be automatically contacted by ICFO requesting them to complete a standardized evaluation form and submit a letter of support for the candidates. Candidates should by no means submit a reference letter in support of their own candidature on behalf of their referees.
Submission of academic transcripts and degrees?
The required documentation to be submitted for application is indicated in the ‘application process’ of each opening. In general, ICFO will ask that you provide a copy of your most recent academic degree certificate. Additionally, and particularly for fellowships and internship positions, ICFO will also need you to submit scanned copies of your academic transcripts (current and previous studies). The academic transcripts contain the list of courses, including the credits and marks obtained. Provisional degree certificates are generally accepted by ICFO.
The application form requires the indication of my GPA – what shall I indicate?
GPA stands for Grade Point Average. Apart from other criteria, selection for ICFO positions, above all for fellowships and internships, is measured in terms of the academic performance. In this regard, ICFO needs an indication of the average of your final overall grade obtained in your studies (stated in your transcripts), the minimum grade required to pass in your university and the maximum grade that can be achieved or the overall qualification obtained in your PhD-studies (for applicants with a PhD-degree).
Retrieve your application
You can write an email to Human Resources and Education at ICFO.