- Post-doctoral position in neuromonitoring with fNIRS/fDCS for neonatal care
- Post-doctoral position in Theoretical Quantum Nanophotonics
- Post-doctoral position on Optical Surfaces
- Post-doctoral position in theoretical quantum physics and quantum technologies
- Post-doctoral position in optically detected magnetic resonance
- Post-doctoral position in experimental quantum communication
- Post-doctoral position in “Science and Art: Outreach and Popularization”
- Postdoctoral position for development of hybrid near-infrared diffuse optical instruments for COVID-19 patients
- Post-doctoral position in quantum information theory
- Post-doctoral position in Optogenetics and reconstruction of neuronal circuits
- Post-doctoral position in Photodetection with 2D material heterostructures
- Post- doctoral position in Advanced Microscopy
- Post-doctoral position in many-body quantum systems
- Post-doctoral position in Quantum Networks with Solid-State Quantum Memories
- Post-doctoral position in quantum machine learning and quantum artificial intelligence (6 months)
- Post-doctoral position in quantum machine learning and quantum artificial intelligence
- Post-doctoral position in integrated quantum optical devices
- Post-doctoral position in Topological Nano-photonics
- Post-doctoral position in experimental quantum optics with solid-state quantum memories
- Post-doctoral position in hybrid quantum nodes for quantum networks
- Post-doctoral position in Quantum optics of single atoms interacting with single photons
- Post-doctoral positions in the theory of novel quantum simulators – connecting areas
- Post-doctoral position in functional near-infrared spectroscopy & diffuse correlation spectroscopy
- Post-doctoral position in Ultrafast Molecular Electron Diffraction
- Post-doctoral position in Membrane-based nano-mechanobiology
- Post-doctoral position on Device Physics and Optimization of Solution Processed Nanocrystal / Thin Film Solar Cells
- Post-doctoral position on Infrared Light Emitters based on colloidal quantum dots
- Post-doctoral position in optical telecommunication for quantum cryptography
- Post-doctoral position on Infrared Photodetectors based on colloidal quantum dots
- Post-doctoral position in functional near-infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS) and EEG for neuro-cognitive development in infants
- Research engineer position in colloid chemistry
- Research engineer position in FPGA programming for quantum communication experiments
- Research engineer position in experimental optical communication
- Research Engineer position in Mechanical Systems Biology
- Research engineer position: CMOS-designer for graphene-based photodetectors
- Research Engineer position for firmware and FPGA programming for Biophotonics Applications
- Research engineer position for biomedical optics/biophotonics
A rolling call, with periodic deadlines, is always open for candidates applying to do a PhD at ICFO.
All candidates will be considered for all available fellowships for which they are eligible. Some specific fellowships are announced through targeted calls. Candidates applying to these calls are also considered for all other fellowships for which they are eligible.
Students may also join ICFO with their own funding or through external fellowships. Interested candidates should apply directly to such programs, and may wish to contact ICFO research groups they might be interested to join.
For general information about admission in ICFO’s PhD program, please visit http://phd.icfo.eu/
For further general information on fellowships and specific calls, please contact us at email@example.com
Rolling Call - Next Deadline: November 29, 2020
Under- and Postgraduate Students
Admin & Technical Engineers
Tech Transfer & Business Development
Maria Yzuel Fellowship Awards - Fellowship Award for Female Undergraduate and Master Students
Undertaking a challenging research project is vital for launching an ambitious research career.
ICFO is aware of the importance of encouraging women’s participation in science to enhance innovation, creativity and excellence in research.
The Maria Yzuel Fellowship Awards aims to attract outstanding female students to conduct a Research Internship or Master Thesis in an ICFO research group.
By offering young women the possibility to explore science in a stimulating and supporting environment, these awards aim to attract, retain and promote female talent towards future research careers in the photonic sciences.
Fellowships will be offered across all ICFO research groups in the following research topics:
- Biophysics & Biomedical Optics
- Optical Sensing, Optoelectronics & Photovoltaics
- Nonlinear Optics, Ultrafast Optics & Atto-Physics
- Nanophotonics, Optomechanics & Nanomechanics
- Experimental Quantum Optics & Quantum Information
- Theoretical Nanophotonics, Quantum Optics & Quantum Information
Interested students should browse the different research group profiles available on the ICFO website, https://www.icfo.eu/lang/research/groups, to identify the groups that best match their interests.
Selected students will participate in ICFO’s rich scientific life, benefit from the experience of ICFO researchers, cutting edge facilities, industrial projects, the institute’s stimulating and interdisciplinary environment, and as receive high-level training as well as extensive admin and tech support. They will collaborate with scientists on research assignments tailored from available projects at ICFO, and will also acquire skills for communicating their research results.
Share this opening!
Use the following URL:
Candidates must be enrolled/registered to an undergraduate or master’s program during the period of the internship at ICFO. Eligible areas include, but are not limited to, Physics, Engineering, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology.
Have a high working knowledge of English.
ICFO is an equal employment opportunity employer. Candidates are selected exclusively on merit and potential on the basis of submitted application material. No restrictions of persons with disabilities or citizenship apply to ICFO positions. ICFO abides by the principles of openness, efficiency, transparency, supportiveness, and international comparability as stated in the European Charter for Researchers and the European Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
The duration of the stay can be from a minimum of three (3) months to a maximum of six (6) months, with flexible starting date, but no later than December 2019.
The stay will have to be formalized by a training agreement between the student’s home university/institution and ICFO. Please, note that any potential offer for a fellowship at ICFO is subject to the previous verification of viability of said training agreement.
For students living in Catalunya, the fellowship include a stipend of 300 euros monthly gross, for full-time dedication.
For students that do not live in Catalunya, the fellowship include a stipend of 600 euros monthly gross, for full-time dedication. Eligible travel expenses are also covered.
1st step: Submit your application
To apply for a fellowship, suitable candidates are requested to submit the following documents (in English):
- A presentation/motivation letter stating research group (s) of interest and answering the question: why this fellowship will benefit your career?
- A Curriculum Vitae, including contact details, in English.
- A scanned copy of the academic transcripts for the undergraduate and postgraduate (if applies), in English or Spanish.
- The print-out of the equivalence calculation of your BACHELOR (undergraduate) results/ GPA accomplished via http://www.foreigncredits.com/Resources/GPA-Calculator/.
- Name and contact details of one potential referee.
The deadline for submission of the application material, is April 22, 2019.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to make sure all required application material (see above), is complete by the time of deadline, in order to be considered.
2nd step: Review process
Selection of Fellows is based on merit and potential, measured in terms of academic records and personal achievements. Proactive attitudes, participation in community activities, and capacity for team-work are also taken into account.
In a first revision stage, applications will first be reviewed to assure that they meet the eligibility requirements and conditions and candidates will be notified accordingly by May 10, 2019, at the latest.
In the second step of the selection procedure, shortlisted candidates will receive invitations for personal (only local candidates) /skype interviews with the selection committee and ICFO Group/Team Leaders, planned to take place on mid-May, 2019.
Fellowship offers will be made to the successful candidates shortly after the interviews, by the beginning of June 2019, at the latest.
At all stages of the process, candidates may contact ICFO Human Resources and Education via firstname.lastname@example.org.
22nd of April, 2019
Identify your interests
As your career goals and research interests are an integral part of the selection procedure itself, apart from the ICFOjobs site, we encourage you to browse ICFO’s corporate website to learn more about ICFO’s research activities and to identify the projects and/or areas that best match your background. We also recommend that you visit Careers @ ICFO. A clear indication of your interests and goals in your presentation letter will help us in reviewing your candidacy.
Did you identify an opening meeting your interest and career goals? Then, we are looking forward to your application!
Should there be no opening matching your interest or background, please contact us at email@example.com.
The application process
If you have identified an opening matching your interests, please read carefully the information about requirements, conditions and necessary application material and start the application process. Candidatures should be submitted online via ICFOjobs, our online application interface, in a 2-step procedure:
The button 'Apply to this opening' takes you to the online application form, gathering your personal data for identification purposes. Once submitted, you will receive a link by e-mail, which you must follow in order to continue the application process.
In this second step of the process you will be asked to provide further details and the necessary application material, as well as to indicate potential referees. All enclosed documentation must be in PDF format or plain text.
Once the application form is complete and the relevant material has been uploaded, submit your candidature by clicking on the ‘apply’ button. Candidates will receive an automatic reply acknowledging submission including a reference number for further enquiries or updates (within deadline).
By submitting an application, you grant ICFO permission to use the provided data for the recruiting process. (see Data Protection Policy)
The review process
Applications will first be reviewed to assure that they meet the requirements and conditions as indicated in the job opening. Candidatures will then be evaluated by a scientific and expert selection committee, focussing on the previous experience and background of the applicant. Selection is based on merit and potential, measured in terms of the academic record and personal achievements.
ICFO will notify candidates who are selected to pass to the next stage in the review process, establishing a direct contact with the considering Group Leader(s). Candidates who do not pass the first step of the review process will be notified of the outcome of their application at this time.
Reference letters play an important role in supporting the candidate in the review process. Depending on the call, reference letters must either be submitted directly to ICFO by the referees upon request by the candidate, or submitted upon request by ICFO's recruiting staff. The members of the selection committee will have access to reference letters.
Candidates may be contacted by phone during the selection process. Likewise, on-site interviews may be scheduled.
ICFO will abide by the principles of openness, efficiency, transparency, supportiveness, and international comparability as stated in the European Charter for Researchers and the European Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers. Persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. No restrictions of citizenship or gender apply to ICFO positions.
Notification of results
All candidates will be notified of the outcome of their application. Possible results are:
The selection committee reaches the conclusion that the background of other candidate(s) appears to be more suitable for the position.
- Waiting list:
Candidate(s) may be placed on a waiting list based on the shortlist proposed by the selection committee. Candidate(s) on this list may receive an offer in the event that the top-candidate does not accept the position. Waiting list candidates will receive a final decision as soon as the top-candidate confirms acceptance.
- Acceptance / offer:
ICFO extends an official offer, asking the selected candidate for formal confirmation of acceptance.
The selection process is completed as soon as the candidate confirms acceptance of the offered position and a tentative starting date has been agreed.
After acceptance @ ICFO
Staff of the ICFO Human Resources and Education Unit assist new ICFO members with the following procedures:
- Support with administrative and legal matters related to arriving and settling in, including immigration formalities (Visa application process, etc.) and personal assistance in relocation.
- Particularly for PhD-students: Information and advice on the necessary academic documentation to be gathered and submitted for enrolment in the PhD in Photonics program, including information about how to legalize previous studies (e.g. BSc, MSc, etc.) whenever necessary, as well as registration to the doctorate program and academic planning.
ICFO’s applicant database
The applicant database and all applications received through ICFOjobs, are managed by the staff of ICFO’s Human Resources and Education Unit. All information is handled with due confidentiality and solely for the purpose mentioned, and will be made available to the members of the selection committee in so far as they are necessary for the management of the process.
Do I have to submit my application exclusively online or may I also submit a hard copy?
ICFO only accepts applications submitted online via the ICFOjobs interface. As an exception, and only in case of force-majeure problems with electronic submission, candidates may submit their application in hard copy within the deadline.
Is it possible to apply for more than one opening? May I apply even if I have been considered for an ICFO opening in the past (i.e., re-application)?
Do I receive a confirmation acknowledging reception of my application?
Is it possible to update my personal data or application material? Likewise, will I be able to delete my application (and therefore all personal data)?
In the first step of application, through the online application form, you will have to provide your personal data including your contact e-mail. Once submitted, you will receive an acknowledging e-mail, containing an application number and a link which you have to follow in order to continue with the procedure (submission of application material, etc.). Via the link you receive by e-mail, you will also be able to update your data and application material (within the established deadlines) or even to withdraw your application.
In case of questions - whom shall I contact for help in submitting my application?
Please contact the recruiting staff of ICFO’s Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Should you have already submitted an application online, please do not forget to indicate your application number(s), as well as the name of the opening.
Particularly for PhD- and Postdoctoral openings: Is it possible to apply even if I have not yet finished the minimum academic qualification required?
Yes, unless the call explicitly indicates otherwise. In general, candidates should hold an internationally-recognized degree or evidence of its completion before the prospective starting date.
Applications need to be supported by reference letters. How should these be submitted?
For exact details on how to proceed with reference letters, please check the specific opening you are applying for. In general, you will be requested to indicate name, institution, contact data, and relationship in the last part of the online application form. Depending on the opening, either the ICFO recruiting staff will contact your referees for their assessment, or you will be instructed to ask your referees to submit their reference letters electronically via the online application form or e-mail (email@example.com). Candidates should by no means submit a reference letter in support of their own candidature on behalf of their referees.
Submission of academic transcripts and degrees?
The required documentation to be submitted for application is indicated in the ‘application process’ of each opening. In general, ICFO will ask that you provide a copy of your most recent academic degree certificate. Additionally, and particularly for fellowships and internship positions, ICFO will also need you to submit scanned copies of your academic transcripts (current and previous studies). The academic transcripts contain the list of courses, including the credits and marks obtained. Provisional degree certificates are generally accepted by ICFO.
The application form requires the indication of my GPA – what shall I indicate?
GPA stands for Grade Point Average. Apart from other criteria, selection for ICFO positions, above all for fellowships and internships, is measured in terms of the academic performance. In this regard, ICFO needs an indication of the average of your final overall grade obtained in your studies, or the overall qualification obtained in your PhD-studies (for applicants with a PhD-degree).
Retrieve your application
You can write an email to Human Resources and Education at ICFO.